Hope & Glory
is supporting the Melbourne Press Club in its search for a new CEO. Here is your opportunity to lead the conversations that matter most to Melbourne while playing a leading advocacy role for journalism and media professionals.
The Club has been a key part of the city’s media community for more than 45 years. It is a forum where journalists and those in related industries can hear from the country’s most senior politicians, business leaders and other newsmakers, and liaise on issues like professional development and media freedom.
The Melbourne Press Club’s purpose is to:
- celebrate excellence in Victorian journalism
- promote the value of quality journalism in a modern democracy
- provide forums for discussion of issues in the news
- encourage fellowship among media people
Each year the Club hosts one of Australia’s most prestigious media awards, the Quills, where it also presents the annual Graham Perkin Australian Journalist of the Year Award.
Speakers at the Club’s monthly lunches have included Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, prime ministers, premiers, authors, sports heroes and top business executives.
About The Role
Reporting directly to the Secretariat of the Board, you will be a key member of the leadership group. Your key accountabilities will include (but not be limited to):
- positioning the Melbourne Press Club as a leading forum for valuable conversations
- providing opportunities for Club members to grow their careers, networks and skills
- strategically developing, leading, and managing a suite of high-profile projects including driving the success of the annual Quill Awards and the Hall of Fame
- maintaining a motivated, effective, respectful team environment
- taking ownership of sponsor value and growth through strategic commercial activity
- prudently managing the Club’s financial position
We are seeking an impressive senior leader who has:
- contacts at the highest level in media, politics, business and the community
- a deep understanding of Australia’s media and journalism landscape
- relevant qualifications, preferably in media
- successful and recent experience at senior management level
- commercial negotiation skills and proven experience around managing sponsors
- demonstrated high-level project management skills.
This is a role that is typically office-based in Melbourne’s CBD but with occasional travel. It is part-time and the salary will be pro-rated accordingly. The position will be offered as a fixed-term, 3-year contract to the successful applicant.
The role is part-time and the salary will be pro-rated accordingly. The salary will not exceed $120K p.a. base and super package (FTE $200K p.a, pro-rated for 3 days) plus performance-based incentives.
How To Apply
Applications for this position close 5pm Friday 17 January 2020. Please submit your CV online. No cover letter or key selection criteria required.
Any enquiries should be made directly to Melbourne Press Club at email@example.com which will be answered by the Club in due course.
Appointment to this position is subject to satisfactory completion of background checks which may include (but not limited to): criminal history, work rights and qualifications.
All applications will be acknowledged and the outcome of the process communicated to all applicants in Jan/Feb of 2020.