Presented by The Melbourne Law School, the Centre for Advancing Journalism and the Melbourne Press Club.
Download event flyer
It’s been two years since significant reforms to Australian defamation law. In this seminar, which builds on a forum in 2022, experts on law reform, defamation and journalism reflect on how the laws are working, and what further reforms are needed.
Panel 1 – The Problems
- Justice John Dixon, retired Judge Victorian Supreme Court (pictured left)
- David Rolph, Professor, Sydney Law School
- Gina McWilliams, Senior Legal Counsel, News Corp Australia (pictured centre)
- Associate Professor Johan Lidberg, Journalism Program, Monash University
- Moderated by Associate Professor Jason Bosland, Melbourne Law School
Panel 2 – The Solutions
- Justice Mordy Bromberg SC, President Australian Law Reform Commission (pictured right)
- Dean Levitan, Minter Ellison
- Georgina Schoff KC, Victorian Bar
- Osman Faruqi, Reporter, The Age
- Moderated by Associate Professor Andrew Dodd, Centre for Advancing Journalism
Hosted by Jon Faine, Vice Chancellor’s Fellow, University of Melbourne
Book now below or on Humanitix.