The 2021 Quill Awards for Excellence in Victorian Journalism features categories catering to all journalists across the state.
Please note that new categories have been created for this year's awards, and some old categories have been combined or removed; review the list below to determine which best matches your entry.
The categories for this year's awards are:
- Breaking News
- Business News/Feature
- Coverage of an issue or an event
- Coverage of Women in Sport, sponsored by VicHealth
- Excellence in Indigenous Affairs Reporting, sponsored by Federation of Traditional Owners
- Excellence in Science, Medical and Health Reporting, sponsored by University of Melbourne
- Features Photograph
- Feature Writing
- Grant Hattam Quill for Investigative Journalism, sponsored by HWT
- Innovation in Journalism
- Keith Dunstan Quill for Commentary
- News Photograph
- News Reporting in Writing
- Radio Current Affairs
- Radio News
- Regional and Rural Journalism
- Reporting on Disability Issues, sponsored by the Victorian Government
- Reporting on Multicultural Affairs, sponsored by the Victorian Government
- Road Safety Reporting, sponsored by TAC
- Sports Feature
- Sports News
- Sports Photograph
- TV Camera Work (Creative)
- TV Camera Work (Shot of the Year)
- TV/Video Feature
- TV/Video News
- Young Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Wilnic Family Trust
Find out more about category criteria and conditions of entry here.
The 2021 Gold Quill will be presented to the work judged best among the category winners.
In addition to the Quill awards, a number of other prizes are currently open for entries, including our 2021 Student Journalist of the Year competition.
We have also opened entries for our prestigious national prizes: the Graham Perkin Australian Journalist of the Year award and the Harry Gordon Australian Sports Journalist of the Year award.