The 28th Quill Awards for Excellence in Victorian Journalism features categories catering to all journalists across the state.
Please note that new categories have been created for this year's awards, and some old categories have been combined or removed; review the list below to determine which best matches your entry.
The categories for this year's awards are:
- Best Breaking News or Live Coverage
- Best Coverage of an Issue
- Business News/Feature, sponsored by McGrathNicol
- Coverage of Women in Sport, sponsored by the Office for Women in Sport
- Excellence in Indigenous Affairs Reporting, sponsored by the Federation of
- Traditional Owners
- Excellence in Science, Medical and Health Reporting, sponsored by University of Melbourne
- Feature Writing
- Features Photograph
- Grant Hattam Quill for Investigative Journalism, sponsored by HWT
- Innovation in Journalism, sponsored by Ryman Healthcare
- Keith Dunstan Quill for Commentary
- Multicultural Affairs and Media, in partnership with Gandel Foundation
- News Photograph
- News Reporting in Writing
- Radio Current Affairs
- Radio News
- Regional and Rural Journalism, sponsored by TAC
- Reporting on Disability Issues, sponsored by the Victorian Government
- Scoop of the Year
- Sports Feature
- Sports News
- Sports Photograph
- TV Camera Work (Creative)
- TV Camera Work (Shot of the Year)
- TV/Video Feature
- TV/Video News
- Young Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Wilnic Family Trust
Find out more about category criteria and conditions of entry here.
The 28th Gold Quill will be presented to the work judged best among the category winners.
In addition to the Quill awards, a number of other prizes are currently open for entries, including our 2022 Student Journalist of the Year competition.
We have also opened entries for our prestigious national prizes: the Graham Perkin Australian Journalist of the Year award and the Harry Gordon Australian Sports Journalist of the Year award.